The history of Cotonificio Borghi began in 1819, when Pasquale Borghi set up a mechanical water spinning wheel in Varano for cotton spinning. In a few decades, the family business got off to a fast start and the cotton mill became internationally famous, becoming a very successful manufacturing center: the first spinning and second weaving mill in Lombardia by production capacity.
At the beginning of 1900, with the construction of the new spinning mill and the complete modernization of the structures, the cotton mill was employing more than 2000 labourers and 1200 looms. During 1913, the factory was sold to the French company Textiloses & Textiles, which profitably continued the business of cotton mill until the second postwar period. After a sharp decrease in the production, in the 1960s the Varano plant was closed.
In the meantime, the history of the TBM Group begins, with Bruno Marcora who in 1946 opened a weaving mill in Besnate, in the province of Varese. The volumes increase and the company grows progressively. At the end of the 1960s, Franco Marcora, only son of the founder and current president, joins the company and directs its activities. The 70s and 80s are a period of strong growth for TBM. The expansion requires an adjustment of the production capacity, obtained thanks to a careful strategy of acquisitions. The activity in Varano Borghi resumed in 1985 thanks to Group’s acquisition. After a careful restoration, the Group brought on site the activities of dyeing and finishing of fabrics.
In 2011, Franco's eldest daughter, Laura Marcora launches the brand Borghi 1819, as a line of fabrics dedicated to luxury fashion and, on occasion of the 200 years, moves the offices to the historic headquarters of the Borghi cotton mill, completely renovated.